13. Egashira K, Inou T, Hirooka Y, Yamada A, Urabe Y, Takeshita A. Evidence of impaired endothelium-dependent coronary vasodilation in patients with angina pectoris and normal coronary angiograms. N Engl J Med. 1993;328:1659–64.
14. Motz W, Vogt M, Rabenau O, Scheler S, Lückhoff A, Strauer BE. Evidence of endothelial dysfunction in coronary resistance vessels in patients with angina pectoris and normal coronary angiograms. Am J Cardiol. 1991;68:996–1003.
15. Chauhan A, Mullins PA, Taylor G, Petch MC, Schofield PM. Effect of hyperventilation and mental stress on coronary blood flow in syndrome X. Br Heart J. 1993;69:516–24.
16. Ong P, Athanasiadis A, Mahrholdt H, Borgulya G, Sechtem U, Kaski JC. Increased coronary vasoconstrictor response to acetylcholine in women with chest pain and normal coronary arteriograms (cardiac syndrome X). Clin Res Cardiol Clin Res Cardiol. 2012;101:673–81.
17. Lanza GA, Lüscher TF, Pasceri V, et al. Effects of atrial pacing on arterial and coronary sinus endothelin-1 levels in syndrome X. Source Am J Cardiol. 1999;84:1187–91.
18. Lanza GA, Giordano A, Pristipino C, et al. Abnormal cardiac adrenergic nerve function in patients with syndrome X detected by [123I] metaiodobenzylguanidine myocardial scintigraphy. Circulation. 1997;96:821–6.
19. Dean JD, Jones CJ, Hutchison SJ, Peters JR, Henderson AH. Hyperinsulinaemia and microvascular angina (»syndrome X»). Lancet. 1991;337:456–7.
20. Lanza GA, Sestito A, Cammarota G. Assessment of systemic inflammation and infective pathogen burden in patients with cardiac syndrome X. Am J Cardiol. 2004;94:40–4.
21. Rosano GM, Collins P, Kaski JC, Lindsay DC, Sarrel PM, Poole-Wilson PA. Syndrome X in women is associated with oestrogen deficiency. Eur Heart J. 1995;16:610–4.
22. Cannon RO 3rd, Quyyumi AA, Schenke WH. Abnormal cardiac sensitivity in patients with chest pain and normal coronary arteries. J Am Coll Cardiol. 1990;16:1359–66.
23. Pasceri V, Lanza GA, Buffon A, Montenero AS, Crea F, Maseri A. Role of abnormal pain sensitivity and behavioral factors in determining chest pain in syndrome X. J Am Coll Cardiol. 1998;31:62–6.
24. Kaski JC, Rosano GMC, Collins P, Nihoyannopoulos P, Maseri A, Poole-Wilson PA. Cardiac syndrome X: clinical characteristics and left ventricular function: long-term follow-up study. J Am Coll Cardiol. 1995;25:807–14.
25. Lamendola P, Lanza GA, Spinelli A, et al. Long-term prognosis of patients with cardiac syndrome X. Int J Cardiol. 2010;15(140):197–9.
26. Al Suwaidi JA, Hamasaki S, Higano ST, Nishimura RA, Holmes DR Jr, Lerman A. Long-term follow-up of patients with mild coronary artery disease and endothelial dysfunction. Circulation. 2000;101:948–54.
27. Pepine CJ, Anderson RD, Sharaf BL. Coronary microvascular reactivity to adenosine predicts adverse outcome in women evaluated for suspected ischemia results from the National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute WISE (Women’s Ischemia Syndrome Evaluation) study. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2010;55:2825–32.
28. Fragasso G, Chierchia SL, Pizzetti G. Impaired left ventricular filling dynamics in patients with angina and angiographically normal coronary arteries: effect of beta adrenergic blockade. Heart. 1997;77:32–9.
29. Lanza GA, Colonna G, Pasceri V, Maseri A. Atenolol versus amlodipine versus isosorbide-5-mononitrate on anginal symptoms in syndrome X. Am J Cardiol. 1999;84:854–6.
30. Leonardo F, Fragasso G, Rossetti E. Comparison of trimetazidine with atenolol in patients with syndrome X: effects on diastolic function and exercise tolerance. Cardiologia. 1999;44:1065–9.
31. Romeo F, Gaspardone A, Ciavolella M, Gioffrè P, Reale A. Verapamil versus acebutolol for syndrome X. Am J Cardiol. 1988;62:312–3.
32. Ferrini D, Bugiardini R, Galvani M. Opposing effects of propranolol and diltiazem on the angina threshold during an exercise test in patients with syndrome X. G Italian Cardiol. 1986;16:224–31.
33. Lindqvist M, Kahan T, Melcher A, Ekholm M, Hjemdahl P. Long-term calcium antagonist treatment of human hypertension with mibefradil or amlodipine increases sympathetic nerve activity. J Hypertens. 2007;25:169–75.
34. Cannon RO, Watson RM, Rosing DR, Epstein SE. Efficacy of calcium channel blocker therapy for angina pectoris resulting from small-vessel coronary artery disease and abnormal vasodilator reserve. Am J Cardiol. 1985;56:242–6.
35. Ozçelik F, Altun A, Ozbay G. Antianginal and anti-ischemic effects of nisoldipine and ramipril in patients with syndrome X. Clin Cardiol. 1999;22:361–5.
36. Li L, Gu Y, Liu T. A randomized, single-center doubleblinded trial on the effects of diltiazem sustained-release capsules in patients with coronary slow flow phenomenon at 6-month follow-up. PLoS One. 2012;7:e38851.
37. Montorsi P, Cozzi S, Loaldi A. Acute coronary vasomotor effects of nifedipine and therapeutic correlates in syndrome X. Am J Cardiol. 1990;66:302–7.
38. Bugiardini R, Borghi A, Biagetti L, Puddu P. Comparison of verapamil versus propranolol therapy in syndrome X. Am J Cardiol. 1989;63:286–90.
39. Sütsch G, Oechslin E, Mayer I, Hess OM. Effect of diltiazem on coronary flow reserve in patients with microvascular angina. Int J Cardiol. 1995;52:135–43.
40. Harrison DG, Bates JN. The nitrovasodilators: new ideas about old drugs. Circulation. 1993;87:1461–7.
41. Lamendola P, Nerla R, Pitocco D. Effect of ranolazine on arterial endothelial function in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus. Atherosclerosis. 2013;226:157–60.
42. Keating GM. Ranolazine: a review of its use in chronic stable angina pectoris. Drugs. 2008;68:2483–503.
43. Villano A, Di Franco A, Nerla R. Effects of ivabradine and ranolazine in patients with microvascular angina pectoris. Am J Cardiol. 2013;1(112):8–13.
44. Mehta PK, Goykhman P, Thomson LE. Ranolazine improves angina in women with evidence of myocardial ischemia but no obstructive coronary artery disease. JACC Cardiovasc Imaging. 2011;4:514–22.
45. Borer JS, Fox K, Jaillon P, Lerebours G, for the Ivabradine Investigators Group. Antianginal and antiischemic effects of ivabradine, an If inhibitor, in stable angina. A randomized, double blind, multicentered, placebo-controlled trial. Circulation. 2003;107:817–23.
46. Minamino T, Kitakaze M, Morioka T. Bidirectional effects of aminophylline on myocardial ischemia. Circulation. 1995;92:1254–60.
47. Crea F, Pupita G, Galassi AR. Role of adenosine in pathogenesis of anginal pain. Circulation. 1990;81:164–72.
48. Emdin M, Picano E, Lattanzi F, L’Abbate A. Improved exercise capacity with acute aminophylline administration in patients with syndrome X. J Am Coll Cardiol. 1989;14:1450–3.
49. Lanza GA, Gaspardone A, Pasceri V. Effects of bamiphylline on exercise testing in patients with syndrome X. G Italian Cardiol. 1997;27:50–4.
50. Radice M, Giudici V, Pusineri E. Different effects of acute administration of aminophylline and nitroglycerin on exercise capacity in patients with syndrome X. Am J Cardiol. 1996;78:88–90.