2. Evered DC, Ormston BJ, Smith PA, Hall R, Bird T. Grades of hypothyroidism. Br Med J. 1973; 1:657-62.
3. Ross DS. Serum thyroid-stimulating hormone measurement for assessment of thyroid function and disease. Endocrinol Metab Clin North Am. 2001;30:245-64.
4. Cooper DS. Subclinical hypothyroidism. N Engl J Med. 2001; 345:260-5.
5. McDermott MT, Ridgway EC. Subclinical hypothyroidism is mild thyroid failure and should be treated. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2001;86:4585-90.
6. Chu JW, Crapo LM. The treatment of subclinical hypothyroidism is seldom necessary. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2001;86: 4591-9.
7. Surks MI, Ortiz E, Daniels GH, Sawin CT, Col NF, Cobin RH, et al. Subclinical thyroid disease: scientific review and guidelines for diagnosis and management. JAMA. 2004;291:228-38.
8. Hollowell JG, Staehling NW, Flanders WD, Hannon WH, Gunter EW, Spencer CA, et al. Serum TSH, T4, and thyroid antibodies in the United States population (1988 to 1994): National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES III). J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2002;87:489-99.
9. Laboratory Medicine Practice Guidelines. Report of the National Academy of Clinical Biochemistry. Thyroid. 2003;13:33-7.
10. Stephens PA. Current issues in thyroid disease management: leading experts discuss new JAMA and JCE&M reports during endocrine society audioconference. Endocrine News. 2004;29:17-20. Disponible en: http://www.endo-society.org/news/endocrine_news/2004/thyroid-april2004.cfm
11. Fatourechi V, Klee GG, Grebe SK, Bahn RS, Brennan MD, Hay ID, et al. Effects of reducing the upper limit to normal TSH value. JAMA. 2003;290:3195-6.
12 Tunbridge WMG, Evered DC, Hall R, Appleton D, Brewis M, Clark F, et al. The spectrum of thyroid disease in the community: The Whickham Survey. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf). 1977;7: 481-93
13. Canaris GJ, Manowitz NR, Mayor GM, Ridgway EC. The Colorado thyroid disease prevalence study. Arch Intern Med. 2000;160:526-34.
14. Rivolta G, Cerutti R, Colombo R, Miano G, Dionisio P, Grossi E. Prevalence of subclinical hypothyroidism in a population living in the Milan metropolitan area. J Endocrinol Invest. 1999; 22:693-7.
15. Sawin CT, Chopra D, Azizi F, Mannix JE, Bacharach P. The aging thyroid: increased prevalence of elevated serum thyrotropin levels in the elderly. JAMA. 1979;242:247-50.
16. Rosenthal MJ, Hunt WC, Garry PJ, Goodwin JS. Thyroid failure in the elderly. Microsomal antibodies as discriminant for therapy. JAMA. 1987;258:209-13.
17 .Bagchi N, Brown TR, Parish RF. Thyroid dysfunction in adults over age 55 years. A study in an urban US community. Arch Intern Med. 1990;150:785-7.
18. Parle JV, Franklyn JA, Cross KW, Jones SC, Sheppard MC. Prevalence and follow-up of abnormal thyrotrophin (TSH) concentrations in the elderly in the United Kingdom. Clin Endocrinol(Oxf). 1991;34:77-83.
19 .Lindeman RD, Schade DS, LaRue A, Romero LJ, Liang HC, Baumgartner RN, et al. Subclinical hypothyroidism in a biethnic, urban community. J Am Geriatr Soc. 1999;47:703-9.
20. Hak AE, Pols HAP, Visser TJ, Drexhage HA, Hofman A, Witteman JCM. Subclinical hypothyroidism is an independent risk factor for atherosclerosis and myocardial infarction in elderly women: the Rotterdam Study. Ann Intern Med. 2000;132:270-8.
21. Vanderpump MPJ, Tunbridge WMG, French JM, Appleton D, Bates D, Clark F, et al. The incidence of thyroid disorders in the community: a twenty-year follow-up of the Whickham Survey. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf). 1995;43:55-68.
22. Huber H, Staub JJ, Meier C, Mitrache C, Guglielmetti M, Huber P, et al. Prospective study of the spontaneous course of subclinical hypothyroidism: prognostic value of thyrotropin, thyroid reserve, and thyroid antibodies. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2002;87:3221-6.
23.Díez JJ, Iglesias P. Spontaneous subclinical hypothyroidism in patients older than 55 years: an analysis of natural course and risk factor for the development of overt thyroid failure.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2004;89:4890-7.
24. Meier C, Staub JJ, Roth CB, Guglielmetti M, Kunz M, Miserez AR, et al. TSH-controlled L-thyroxine therapy reduces cholesterol levels and clinical symptoms in subclinical hypothyroidism: a double blind, placebo-controlled trial (Basel Thyroid Study). J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2001;86:4860-6.
25. Caraccio N, Ferrannini E, Monzani F. Lipoprotein profile in subclinical hypothyroidism: response to levothyroxine replacement, a randomized placebo-controlled study. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2002;87:1533-8.
26. Monzani F, Caraccio N, Kozàkowà M, Dardano A, Vittone F, Virdis A, et al. Effect of levothyroxine replacement on lipid profile and intima-media thickness in subclinical hypothyroidism: profile and intima-media thickness in subclinical hypothyroidism: a double-blind, placebo-controlled study. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2004;89:2099-106.
27. Bakker SJL, Ter Matten JC, Popp-Snijders C, Slaets JPJ, Heine RJ, Gans ROB. The relationship between thyrotropin and low density lipoprotein cholesterol is modified by insulin sensitivity in healthy euthyroid subjects. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2001;86:1206-11.
28. Bindels AJ, Westendorp RG, Frolich M, Seidell JC, Blokstra A, Smelt AH. The prevalence of subclinical hypothyroidism at different total plasma cholesterol levels in middle aged men and women: a need for case-finding? Clin Endocrinol (Oxf). 1999;50:217-20.
29. Hueston WJ, Pearson WS. Subclinical hypothyroidism and the risk of hypercholesterolemia. Ann Fam Med. 2004;2:351-5.
30. Vanderpump MP, Tunbridge WM, French JM, Appleton D, Bates Clark F, Grimley Evans J, et al. The development of ischemic heart disease in relation to autoimmune thyroid disease in a 20-year follow-up study of an English community. Thyroid. 1996;6:155-60.
31. Imaizumi M, Akahoshi M, Ichimaru S, Nakashima E, Hida A, Soda M, et al. Risk for ischemic heart disease and all-cause mortality in subclinical hypothyroidism. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2004;89:3365-70.
32. Biondi B, Palmieri EA, Lombardi G, Fazio S. Effects of subclinical thyroid dysfunction on the heart. Ann Intern Med. 2002; 137:904-14. Díez JJ. Hipotiroidismo subclínico258 Endocrinol Nutr 2005;52(5):251-9 8.