of anticoagulant prophylaxis in atrial fibrillation: analysis of a claims database. Open J Int Med 2011;60–7.
13. Gage BF, Waterman AD, Shannon W. Validation of clinical classification schemes for predicting stroke: results from the National Registry of Atrial Fibrillation. JAMA 2001;285(22): 2864–70.
14. Gladstone DJ, Bui E, Fang J. Potentially preventable strokes in high-risk patients with atrial fibrillation who are not adequately anticoagulated. Stroke 2009;40(1):235–40.
15. Go AS, Hylek EM, Borowsky LH. Warfarin use among ambulatory patients with nonvalvular atrial fibrillation: the Anticoagulation and Risk Factors in Atrial Fibrillation (ATRIA) study. Ann Intern Med 1999;131(12):927–34.
16. Lloyd-Jones D, Adams R, Carnethon M. Heart disease and stroke statistics—2009 update: a report from the American Heart Association statistics committee and stroke statistics subcommittee. Circulation 2009;119:480–6.
17. Talajic M, Khairy P, Levesque S. Maintenance of sinus rhythm and survival in patients with heart failure and atrial fibrillation. J Am Coll Cardiol 2010;55:1796–802.
18. Kalra L, Yu G, Perez I. Prospective cohort study to determine if trial efficacy of anticoagulation for stroke prevention in atrial fibrillation translates into clinical effectiveness. BMJ 2000; 320(7244):1236–9.
19. Lloyd-Jones DM, Hong Y, Labarthe D. Defining and setting national goals for cardiovascular health promotion and disease reduction: the American Heart Association’s strategic impact goal through 2020 and beyond. Circulation 2010;121:586–613.
20. Frieden TR, Berwick DM. The “Million Hearts” initiative—preventing heart attacks and strokes. N Engl J Med 2011;365:e27.
21. Donze J, Clair C, Hug B. Risk of falls and major bleeds in patients on oral anticoagulation therapy. Am J Med 2012;125(8): 773–8.
22. Kakkar AK,Mueller I, Bassand JP. Risk profiles and antithrombotic treatment of patients newly diagnosed with atrial fibrillation at risk of stroke: perspectives from the international, observational, prospective GARFIELD registry. PLoS One 2013;8(5):e63479.
23. Connolly SJ, Ezekowitz MD, Yusuf S. Dabigatran versus warfarin in patients with atrial fibrillation. N Engl J Med. 2009;361:1139-51.